Achiote Paste. Also known as recado Colorado in the Yucatan, where it originated and this marinating paste can be used on chicken, pork or fish. Although the base for achiote paste is sold under several brand names, ready to be mixed with orange juice, this homemade version has a much fresher, livlier taste and keeps for months in the refrigerator.
Annatto seeds are sold in Hispanic grocery stores and are also available on line. See The Mexican Kitchen: A Taste for All Seasons for a complete list of internet and mail order sources for Mexican ingredients, herbs and spices.
- ½ cup annatto (achiote) seeds
- 10 large garlic cloves roasted on a comal or griddle until charred, then peeled
- ½ tablespoon dried oregano leaves
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 4whole allspice
- 1tablespoon ground black pepper
- ½ tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1tablespoon of salt
- 1 cut bitter (Seville) orange juice, or use half sweet orange juice and half vinegar
Grind all of the ingredients except the orange juice in a spice mill or food processor. Add the orange juice, a little at a time, until a thick paste is formed.
Makes about 1½ cups.